On January 27, both former president Joe Biden and the prime minister of Qatar, Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani announced (separately) a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. In addition to this, there was a hostage exchange. Defense Department officials believe that this may be a resolution to the 15 months of conflict. Biden says “This deal will halt the fighting in Gaza, surge much needed-humanitarian assistance to Palestinian civilians, and reunite the hostages with their families after more than 15 months in captivity,” (NPR). However, Hamas claimed they are putting the hostage release on hold, accusing Israel of not following the terms of their ceasefire deal. The military wing of Hamas, the Qassam Brigades, says that Israel had not permitted aid to enter the enclave, delayed the return of many displaced people back to the northern Gaza Strip, and shelling the gunfire in multiple spots of the strip.
When the ceasefire was announced, a three phase plan was created. The first phase has already ended, on March 1. Hamas released 33 hostages and Israel released 1,900 Palestinian prisoners, in addition to allowing aid and goods to enter the Gaza Strip. Both parties had agreed that as a part of the second phase negotiations, remaining hostages would be released and Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip would withdraw. These plans have made no progress since the first phase ended.
A in Qatar, delegations from Israel and Hamas gathered to negotiate ways for the ceasefire to make progress. US envoy Steve Witkoff proposed his “bridging proposal,” which would extend the first phase. More hostages would be released and more Palestinian prisoners would be released as well. However, negotiations regarding the war ending permanently would be delayed. Hamas does not want to release any more hostages unless Israeli troops withdraw from the Gaza strip. Many believe that the war will resume because of these conflicts after being on hold for a few months.
On March 17, Israel fighter jets launched a series of bombardment across the Gaza Strip. This broke into their truce that has been going on since January. The Israeli military was instructed to take action since Hamas had repeatedly refused to release hostages. In addition to this, sources from the Israeli military have mentioned noticing an increase in activity of Hamas to regroup their forces. Many believe that these conflicts between Israel and Hamas will lead to the war resuming. Then, on March 23, 15 bodies, including paramedics had been buried in a mass grave.
Yesterday, March 31, BBC wrote “More than 50,350 people have been killed in Gaza during the ensuing war,” according to the health ministry. Since the ceasefire had been announced until today, there has been many deaths and injuries. There is still tension between Israel and Hamas, making it unclear what will happen next with this conflict, whether it continues or comes to an end.
Works Cited
BBC. www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq6yp5d5v9jo.
Britannica. www.britannica.com/event/Israel-Hamas-War.
Npr. www.npr.org/2025/01/15/g-s1-42883/ceasefire-israel-hamas-gaza-hostage-release.
US Department of Defense. www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/article/4032622/biden-announces-ceasefire-deal-between-hamas-israel-in-farewell-address/#:~:text=In%20his%20final%20address%20from,of%20conflict%20in%20the%20region.