The Colt

The Student News Site of Coleytown Middle School

The Colt

The Colt

Polls

Recipes Around the World: Middle East

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Recipes Around the World: Middle East

The Middle East is an area that contains parts of northeast Africa and southwest Asia.  The countries in the Middle East are Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen and Egypt. The culture in the Middle East is very different from other places in the world.  The language, music, and food all play a big role in the culture. The languages most commonly spoken in the Middle East are Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Hebrew and Kurdish. The music is very diverse and songs are commonly sung in Arabic, Turkish and Persian. The food is very interesting and has lots of flavors. It is also known for having many spices. Common foods in the Middle East are hummus, falafel, grilled holloumi, molokhia, and many more. Molokhia (mole-a-KAY-a) soup is eaten all around the Middle East, although it originated in Egypt. This dish tastes like chicken broth, garlic, and coriander.  In English, molokhia is called Egyptian Spinach. Here is a delicious recipe:

Ingredients :

• 1 Pack Frozen Molokhia
  • 2 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 Cup Diced Onions
  • 1 Boullion Cube
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic

Directions :

• Set a pot to medium high
  • Pour in some broth, saving the rest for later, next, add in the boullion cube and stir until it is dissolved
  • Add diced garlic and onion then stir a little
  • Add the Molokhia and turn the heat down to medium low. Wait for the molokhia to fully melt. Check the consistency, if it is too thick, add more broth
  • Check the seasoning, if it is not salty enough, add more salt

Molokhia is an easy recipe that doesn’t require too much work. It can be served with pita bread or cut up chicken. Enjoy this delicious food from the Middle East!