The Colt

The Student News Site of Coleytown Middle School

The Colt

The Colt

Polls

Exciting Victory in Newcastle VS West Ham United

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

During week 31 in the Premier League (England’s top soccer league), a particularly exciting match caught the eye of many fans and followers of the league: Newcastle VS West Ham United.

First Half

The game started in a very exciting fashion, with many chances to score being created in the first few minutes. The first goal came early for Newcastle in the 6th minute of the match, and a penalty was given after Anthony Gordon (England) was thrown to the ground in the box. Alexander Isak (Sweden) was chosen to take the shot, he slipped past the goalkeeper easily and Newcastle was up 1-0. However, Newcastle was not ahead for long as West Ham’s Michail Antonio (England) scored an easy goal to tie it up fifteen minutes later. The game continued with the game still tied until West Ham found an opening and brought their lead to 2-1, the goal was scored by Mohammed Kudus (Ghana) just as the First Half was reaching an end.

Second Half

Three minutes into the Second Half, Jarrod Bowen (England) from West Ham United scored to bring the lead to a devastating 3-1 scoreline for Newcastle. Newcastle fans continued without much hope until another penalty was given in the 77th minute and now they had a chance at 3-2 and maybe have enough time to tie up the match. Alexander Isak took the penalty and again, hit it past the goalkeeper with no real trouble. Newcastle were suddenly back in the game and with time not on their side. Yet, 6 minutes later, it all started with Alexander Isak passing the ball towards Harvey Barnes (England) who broke away from the defense to put away an easy goal and tie the game to complete the legendary comeback. However, Newcastle wasn’t done yet, just as the final minutes of the game were ticking away, Newcastle’s Anthony Gordon passed the ball to Harvey Barnes just outside of the box who then drilled the ball into the right corner. Fans were left in shock, Newcastle had completed a comeback that was hardly believed to be possible, they had won it with barely any minutes left in the game.

Why Was This So Important?

With the Premier League season coming to an end, winning is an important priority for teams (winning gives 3 points, a tie gives 1 to each team, and a loss gives 0). Those 3 points gained from a win hold much importance since it is easier to rise in the league ranks by gaining a high amount of points from each game. For Newcastle, this comeback, firstly, was important because it saved them from not receiving any points, but it also got them 2 extra points from evading a tie. Also, West Ham and Newcastle are ranked 7 and 8 so preventing West Ham from any points was also a benefit that came with this win due to them being close in the ranks.

Works Cited

Jackson, Bobbie. “Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United: Harvey Barnes Scores Twice from Bench to Seal Dramatic Win.” BBC, 30 Mar. 2024, www.bbc.com/sport/football/68644056.