The Colt

The Student News Site of Coleytown Middle School

The Colt

The Colt

Polls

NFL and College Football Updates

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

NFL and College Football Updates

Updates for NFL and College Football
NFL and College Football Updates

College Football – Conference Championship week.

The two best teams from each conference played each other and the results were amazing. First, in the PAC-12 championship on Friday night. We saw The 5th ranked Oregon Ducks and the 3rd ranked Washington Huskies play in a rematch of the October game in which we saw the Huskies come out on top. In this matchup, Washington got up 20-3 but the Ducks came storming back and scored 21 unanswered points and took the lead 24-20. The Huskies fought back and took the lead as the game went down to the wire. After a late Oregon touchdown, they failed the onside kick and Washington won 34-31. This guaranteed the Huskies a spot in the playoff.

In the Big 12 Championship, The 7th-ranked Texas Longhorns played the 19th-ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys in the Longhorns’ last game in the Big 12 before they went to the SEC with Oklahoma. In their last game, The Longhorns dismantled the Cowboys 49-21 in a dominating performance. The Longhorns would need Georgia to lose to make it to the Playoffs.

In the SEC championship, The Georgia Bulldogs came in number one in the nation and they would play number 8 Alabama Crimson Tide. In a shocking game, The Crimson Tide held the lead almost the whole game and controlled the Bulldogs. In an absolute stunner, Alabama won 27-24. This was huge as now Alabama, Georgia, and Texas would be racing for the playoffs.

In the ACC championship, 4th ranked Florida State Seminoles who were lacking starting quarterback Jordan Travis and backup quarterback Tate Rodemaker would be playing 14th ranked Louisville Cardinals. In a very boring game, Florida State led at the half 3-0. Yeah, embarrassing. But led by 3rd string quarterback Brock Glenn, Somehow Florida State won 16-6 and put themselves in the playoff conversation.

Lastly, the 2nd-ranked Michigan Wolverines played 16th-ranked Iowa and beat them 26-0 in a snoozefest. After all of this many teams were saying that they deserved to be in the playoff and it was up to the committee to decide.

CFP selections.

What we saw in the CFP selection show was chaos. 6 teams, 4 spots. Which teams would be happy, and which teams would have their dreams crushed? The first spot went to undefeated Michigan who after beating Ohio State, had a clear path to the playoffs. The next spot went to Washington, who just like Michigan, was undefeated and deserved the spot.

Then it got tricky. The 4 other teams each thought they should be in. 12-1 Georgia had been number one for weeks and thought they deserved to be there because they had won 2 national championships in a row. 12-1 Texas thought that nobody in the country wanted to play them and that they were the scariest team in the nation. 12-1 Alabama had just beaten Georgia so they believed they should be ahead of the Bulldogs. Lastly, 13-0 Flordia State knew they should be in because an undefeated power-5 champion had never been left out, and even though their Quarterback was hurt, they believed they should be in. Finally, after much debate, the third spot went to Texas. Now there were three. Number 6 went to Georgia who was then eliminated. Now it was just Florida State and Alabama. The number 4 spot went to… Alabama. There was an outrage among many that undefeated Florida State was left out but it was final.

Michigan vs Alabama  Rose Bowl California

Washington vs Texas   Sugar Bowl Louisiana.

NFL

49ers upset Eagles.

The 8-3 San Fransisco 49ers played the Philidelphia Eagles who had the best record in the NFL at 10-1.  What we saw during the game was absolute domination. The Brock Purdy-led Niners led the Jalen Hurts-led Eagles the entire game and blew them out of the water with a final score of 42-19. Purdy went 19-27 for 314 yards and 4 touchdowns as the Niners rose to 9-3 and are looking like one of the best teams in the league. The Eagles dropped to 10-2 and have to play the red-hot 9-3 Dallas Cowboys on Sunday at Dallas. The Cowboys have won 11 out of their last 13 at home and haven’t lost at AT&T Stadium this year yet.

The Broncos’ Streak ends.

The Denver Broncos started the season a putrid 1-5. New head coach Sean Payton wasn’t looking good and veteran QB Russell Wilson was not looking good. Somehow, they won an amazing 6 straight games, most of which convincingly, and rose to 6-5. Their matchup against the also surprise Houston Texans was highly anticipated. What we saw was The Broncos played a good game against a tough team. Wilson threw for 186 yards and a touchdown, but also 3 interceptions! This could have been the end but the Broncos fought back and eventually fell 22-17. The Broncos dropped to 6-6 and their playoff hopes are still alive. The Texans move up to 7-5 with their playoff hopes alive. Denver will play the red-hot 49ers on Sunday in a highly anticipated matchup

Chanze’s predictions:

CFP (College football playoff)

Michigan vs Alabama | Michigan 31- Alabama 24

Washington vs Texas | Washington 21- Texas 35.

National Championship Michigan vs Texas. | Michigan 10- Texas 28. (Not Mrs. Socha’s prediction – Go Blue!)

NFL

Super Bowl

Ravens vs 49ers.

EPSN. www.espn.com/nfl/standings. Accessed 6 Dec. 2023.
ESPN. www.espn.com/nfl/scoreboard. Accessed 6 Dec. 2023.