The Colt

The Student News Site of Coleytown Middle School

The Colt

The Colt

Polls

Five Simple and Effective Study Tips

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Five Simple and Effective Study Tips

Studying is more difficult than it seems. Here are 5 helpful tips for the next time you have to study for a test or assignment.

Gum Chewing 

Gum chewing may not seem like it will help with studying. “Gum increases the flow of oxygen to regions of the brain responsible for attention,” says Amy Kraft at Scientific American.  Not only does it do this, but it actually raises feelings of relaxation, increases attention span, lowers stress levels and improves your memory. However, chewing gum in school is not necessary and not allowed, but outside of school, it is fine to do so.

Flashcards

When you are studying, it is important to create flashcards to test your memory. Flashcards are good if you are trying to memorize a full sentence or definition. To create a flashcard, take an index card and write the word you are trying to learn on one side, then flip the card over and write the definition or sentence on the other side. Repeat this process until you have created a flashcard for each word/phrase. Then, keep testing yourself and study the flashcards until you have each definition/word perfect.

Take Notes

Taking notes is extremely important while studying. If you take notes during a lesson or from a book, you can refer to them later when you are studying. Studies show that if you write something down, you are more likely to remember things than if you don’t write things down. Taking notes also forces your brain to be actively listening and focusing, which creates more effective study sessions.

Eliminate Distractions

When studying, it is very important to get rid of any distractions.  Even small noises can be very distracting and can completely break your focus.  Things like devices, people, music, alerts, and more. “Distractions elevate stress levels, cause unwarranted fatigue, create work/life imbalance and, more important than any other issue, are a leading factor in people losing control over their work environment and lives.”  This shows that distractions have a big impact, and should not be around while studying for the best experience.

Take Breaks & Pace Yourself

While studying, taking breaks will have big benefits. If you try to study everything in one period of time, you will get tired faster and become less focused over time.  However, if you take breaks, and study at a steady pace, your energy level will increase, your ability to focus, reduce stress levels, and more.  Pacing yourself will make sure you remember everything and help you not rush.